Blessedly, they both slept in. Which gave me time to think a bit more about a breakfast risotto my friend ordered when we went to brunch the other day. With some rhubarb sitting in the fridge just waiting to be used, I got to work.
The result was a sweet and creamy risotto accompanied with a rather delicious fruit compote. It's not what I'd feed my boys for breakfast ordinarily, but a nice little National Costume Day treat.
Vanilla Bean Breakfast Risotto
* 800g mixed fruit (see tips)
* 70g raw sugar
* 50g water
* 200g aborio rice
* 30g sugar
* 1/4 vanilla bean
* 250g milk
* 450g water
* 1 egg, lightly whisked
1. Place ingredients into TM bowl. Cook for 8 minutes at 90°, on reverse, speed 1.
2. Cook for a further 4 minutes at 90°, on reverse, speed 1 with the MC removed.
Set aside to cool.
1. Mill vanilla bean and raw sugar for 10 seconds on speed 10.
2. Insert butterfly and add rice and liquid to TM bowl. Cook for 18 minutes, at 100°, on reverse, speed 1 with the MC removed. During the last minute of cooking, tip the whisked egg into the mixture through the MC opening at the top.
Serve with the fruit compote and marscapone.
I used 300g rhubarb, 200g apple, 200g strawberries & 100g blueberries for the mixed fruit. I only put the strawberries and blueberries into the bowl in the last 4 minutes of cooking.