It was also recently brought to my attention that it's one of the few Butter Chicken recipes which are nut free, so if nuts are an issue for you - this is the one for you! I hope you enjoy it - I think it's the best butter chicken recipe ever.
Jimmy Seervai's Butter Chicken
140g greek yoghurt
3cm piece ginger, peeled
2 cloves garlic
2 tbs garam masala
1 lemon, juiced
25g olive oil
¼ cup coriander
800g chicken thigh fillets, cut into chunks
2 tbs ghee
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 ½ tbs tomato paste
2 long red chillies, de-seeded
1. The quantities here do tend to make a lot of sauce. I will often bottle half of it and save it for later in the week and only add half the quantity to the chicken pan.
2. I can’t serve any meal without greens on the plate, so I usually steam some broccoli and snow peas in the varoma while the rice is cooking. The broccoli needs about 10 minutes, but the snow peas only about 4 minutes.
3. I make flat breads to go with this, because my boys love dipping the bread in the extra sauce. I do the dough before I start the chicken & sauce. It has time to rest while I’m browning the chicken and making the sauce. I roll it out and lightly fry it while the chicken is simmering and the rice is cooking.
FLAT BREADS (adapted from Callum Hann’s recipe in Masterchef Series 2 Cookbook)
200g bakers flour
2 tbs pure cream
Olive oil, to fry
- Place flour and cream in TMX bowl. Blend on Speed 4 for 5-10 seconds (just until combined)
- Add 80g water and blend on Speed 4 for 5-10 seconds just until the dough comes together.
- Select closed lid position and knead for 2 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a sausage shape, wrap in plastic wrap and rest for 15 minutes.
- Cut into about 8 portions, roll each one out until about 2mm thick. Lightly fry in a fry pan over medium heat, brushing lightly with olive oil.
- Each flat bread only takes about 1 minute per side – they should be lightly puffed and golden.