This has been our first successful season of vegetable growing. I've taken such enormous pleasure in watching the vegie garden grow and seeing how excited my boys have been at growing their own produce.
They aren't huge salad eaters (though my youngest will at least now have lettuce on his sandwiches, as long as it's "our" lettuce) so I needed to come up with a non-salad dish that used some of the gorgeous radishes we harvested yesterday. This dinner was what I came up with, after reading a couple of korean style recipes. The radish really takes on the flavours of the sauce and is quite delicious!
Chicken & Radish with Rice
* 1 medium daikon radish - peeled and chopped into 1.5cm wide half moons
* 500g chicken thighs - diced into 2cm cubes
* 1/4 tsp dried chilli
* 1 tbs peanut oil
* 2 garlic cloves
* 400g basmati rice
* Broccoli & Zucchini - chopped into smallish pieces
* 1 tsp sesame oil
* 2 tsp fried shallotts
* 900g water
* 2 tbs vegetable stock concentrate
* 100g soy sauce
* 60g sake
* 2 tbs rapadura sugar
* 2 tbs honey
* Place garlic in TMX bowl and chop for 2-3 seconds on speed 5.
* Add chopped radish, chilli and peanut oil. Saute for 3 minutes at 100º on speed 1.
* Add all the sauce ingredients.
* Add rice to TMX basket and insert into bowl. Lock lid onto bowl.
* Add chicken to both layers of Varoma, ensuring plenty of holes are exposed to allow steam to flow through. Place on top of the TMX bowl. Cook for 20 minutes at Varoma temp on reverse & speed 4.
* Remove rice. Transfer the chicken from the top tray of the Varoma into the bottom tray and give that chicken a good stir to move all the pieces around and ensure that steam can still flow through. Wipe the top tray down with a paper towel and then add greens to it.
* Check the liquid in the bowl - the daikon should still just be covered. Cook for a further 5-10 minutes at Varoma temp on reverse & speed 4.
Serve chicken with rice and greens on the side. Drizzle chicken with sesame oil, a little more honey and scatter with shallots.
Post a Comment