Sunday, August 14, 2011
Cook-A-Long with Brooke-A-Long : Edition 1
This first recipe is one of my favourite soups. It looks like soup weather might fast be coming to a close here in Brisbane, so I'm making the most of it while it lasts. It's such a simple, quick and yummy way of getting heaps of vegetables into the day and takes my youngest son far less time to eat than a normal dinner does!
Sweet Potato & Spinach Soup
(converted from the 123 Cooking Light Recipe Collection)
* 1 onion - peeled and halved
* 1 tbs olive oil
* 650-800g sweet potato - peeled and chopped into chunks
* 1 tbs vegetable stock concentrate
* 500g water
* 75g spinach leaves
* 1/2 cup cream or coconut cream
1. Chop the onion on speed 7 for 3 seconds.
2. Add the oil and saute for 2 minutes at 100º on speed 1.
3. Add the sweet potato and chop for 10 seconds on speed 7.
4. Add the vegetable stock concentrate and water. Cook for 15 minutes at 100º on speed 1. Walk away and enjoy a glass of wine, play with the kids, read the paper, etc. etc. etc.
5. Add spinach and cook for a further 5 minutes at 100º on speed 1.
6. Blend the soup by slowly turning the speed from position 1 to 9. Take about 30 seconds to do this and then spend a further 15 seconds on speed 9 once you get there.
7. Add cream (or coconut cream) and blend for 5 seconds on speed 3.
* This is quite a thin soup. If you like your soup a bit thicker then, before starting the soup, mill about 70g of brown rice on Speed 9 for 1 minute. Remove the rice flour and set it aside until step 3. Add it in with the rest of the ingredients and you'll get a thicker result.
Pour into bowls and serve with bread of your choice. The Tang Zhong bread is fabulous with it because it's so sweet and fluffy, so go ahead and try that one too!
I'd love to hear your feedback - either leave a comment on the blog or on Facebook and let me know how you go. Next week will be something sweet and luscious I promise, I just thought it prudent to at least start with something healthy!