I first had gorgeous Bill Granger's Coconut Bread at bills in 2009 while we were in Sydney after our first family trip to the snow. I clearly remember being torn about what to order and, at the waitress' suggestion, ordered Coconut Bread. One bite and we were all hooked!
It is sweet, but not sickly and absolutely delicious toasted and then adorned with palm sugar butter and lime marmalade.
It's apparently marked "Never To Be Replaced" on the menu and with good reason.
(adapted from bills sydney food)
* 2 eggs
* 300g milk
* 1 tsp vanilla essence* 340g flour (I use organic cake flour, otherwise plain flour)
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 2 tsp ground cinnamon* 230g raw sugar (or 200g rapadura)
* 150g shredded coconut
* 75g butter - melted
Grease a 21x10cm loaf tin and preheat oven to 180C.
If using TMX to melt butter, do so and set aside.
1. Place sugar in the TMX bowl and mill on speed 8 for 4 seconds.
2. Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon and coconut. Mix on reverse on speed 4 for 5 seconds.
3. Add milk and eggs. Mix on reverse on speed 4 for 5 seconds.
4. Add butter and mix on reverse on speed 4 for 5 seconds.
Pour into tin and bake for approximately 1 hour, or until a skewer comes out cleanly.
Ooooh, sounds delish.ReplyDelete
I wonder if you could use coconut flour for the non-gluten types?